Android 4.3 update rolling out to quad-core Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505)
Samsung is making good on its promise to update the Galaxy S4 to Android 4.3, the latest iteration of Jelly Bean, in October.
The update is now rolling out to the quad-core Galaxy S4 in Germany, just a couple of days after a test Android 4.3 firmware for the device was leaked, and it is expected to reach users in other European nations in the coming days. One of the most important features in the update is support for the Galaxy Gear, as the S4 will now support Bluetooth 4.0 LE thanks to Android 4.3 (though it was already partially compatible).
Other noticeable changes are mostly related to Samsung’s TouchWiz apps and features as well (some of them taken from the Galaxy Note 3), as 4.3 doesn’t feature much other than under-the-hood changes, such as support for OpenGL 3.0, always-on Wi-Fi location scanning, TRIM capability (speeds up operation by optimizing storage), etc.
Here’s the full changelog according to the folks over at SamMobile:
- OpenGL 3.0 Support
- GALAXY GEAR Support
- TRIM Support (Makes the device much faster)
- ANT+ Support
- Samsung KNOX Implementation (KNOX bootloader and dedicated application)
- Samsung Wallet comes pre-loaded
- Improved RAM management
- Improved Display colour reproduction (Display looks much sharper than before)
- Improved TouchWiz Launcher (Much less launcher redraws and less lag)
- New Samsung Keyboard
- New Samsung Browser (Full screen by default, new tab interface and more)
- New Reading Mode (Optimises display for reading, used by only a few specific applications)
- New Camera firmware
- Minor UI tweaks (Contacts app, Flashlight Widget, dialog boxes etc)
The update is rolling out over-the-air and via Samsung’s KIES PC suite, though it might be a while before your device detects it as the update process is gradual. For impatient folks, SamMobile has the full firmware available for manual flashing, though that isn’t a recommended method as it can wipe your data if something goes wrong; you can also force a check for the update via the Settings » About phone » Software updates menu.