android ios Android and iOS account for 8 of 10 smartphones in Q1

Eight out of 10 smartphones shipped in the first quarter of this year were powered by Google's Android or Apple's iOS platforms, highlighting the continued dominance of the two companies in the mobile industry.

Eight out of 10 smartphones shipped in the first quarter of this year were powered by Google's Android or Apple's iOS platforms, highlighting the continued dominance of the two companies in the mobile industry.

 
A report by the International Data Corporation (IDC) revealed that Android's market share grew to 59 percent in the first quarter, while the iOS market share grew to 23 percent. This is a combined market share of 82 percent, a huge increase from the combined share of 54.4 percent in the first quarter of 2011.
 
Rival mobile operating systems, including the defunct Symbian and struggling BlackBerry OS, have continued to lose market share. Symbian posted its largest decline to date of 60.6 percent, resulting in a market share of just 10.4 percent. BlackBerry OS was down 29.7 percent, with a market share of 9.7 percent. Windows Phone 7, however, saw growth of 26.9 percent, but its market share increased from a meagre 2.6 percent to a not much better 3.3 percent.
 
android ios Android and iOS account for 8 of 10 smartphones in Q1
 
Android's growth continues at a phenomenal pace, with an increase of 145 percent, while iOS is doing extremely well too, with a jump of 88.7 percent. If they and Windows Phone 7 continue to grow we will see further erosion of market share from Symbian and BlackBerry OS.
 
"The popularity of Android and iOS stems from a combination of factors that the competition has struggled to keep up with," said Ramon Llamas, senior research analyst with IDC's Mobile Phone Technology and Trends program. "Neither Android nor iOS were the first to market with some of these features, but the way they made the smartphone experience intuitive and seamless has quickly earned a massive following."