Apple has just formally launched their refreshed MacBook Pros and it's available right now online. While still retaining the same body, there has been a lot of changes under the hood.
The much-anticipated refreshment of MacBook Pros are here. For the first time ever in the company's history, Apple has included Quad Core CPUs into their laptops. The 15-inch and 17-inch models offer Quad Core CPUs using the Intel 2.2GHz Quad Core 2720QM and 2.0GHz Quad Core 2630QM.
The new Sandy Bridge processors found in these new MacBook Pro also feature Intel's Turbo Boost 2.0, which will increase athe speed of the remaining cores when the others are underultilised.
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 automatically allows processor cores to run faster than the base operating frequency if it's operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits.
For those who are interested in the Quad Cores, the maximum Turbo clock speeds for the 2720QM and 2630QM are 3.2GHz and 2.9GHz respectively.
Another new feature that Apple has introduced in this refreshment is the hybrid Thunderbolt/ mini Display port. This revolutionary technology, which represents Intel's Light Peak technology, is expected to surface in other Macs along the way. The speed in which it can achieve, is expected to replace the need for USB 3.0
"Thunderbolt is a revolutionary new I/O technology that delivers an amazing 10 gigabits per second and can support every important I/O standard which is ideal for the new MacBook Pro."
The following new models are available now online at the Apple Store.
- 17" 1920×1200 Display. 2.2Ghz Quad i7. 4GB RAM. 750GB HD. AMD 6750M 1GB. S$3398
- 15" 1440×900 (1680 option) Display. 2.2GHz Quad i7. 750GB HD. AMD 6750M 1GB. S$2988
- 15" 1440×900 (1680 option) Display. 2.0GHz Quad i7. 4GB RAM. 500GB HD. AMD 6490M 256MB. S$2488
- 13" 1280×800 Display. 2.7GHz Dual i7. 4GB RAM. 500GB HD. Intel HD Graphics. S$2048
- 13" 1280×800 Display. 2.3GHz Dual i5. 4GB RAM. 320GB HD. Intel HD Graphics. S$1648
Full specifications are available here.