Apple probably can’t stop June 21 launch of Samsung Galaxy S III
Last Friday, Apple's lawyers were threatening to file a temporary restraining order on Samsung's Galaxy S III to stop the device from going on sale on June 21, its launch date. Now that is hardly likely to happen.
Among the other Apple vs. Samsung cases that are going on right now in the United States, Apple was hoping that Judge Lucy Koh would make a preliminary injunction request for the Samsung Halaxy S III, to add to an existing pile of similar requests which Apple has made for Samsung products.
But, according to a report by Reuters, Judge Koh ruled that the requests would "overload her calendar". A date of July 30 has already been set for the trial on the previous Galaxy cases.
While Apple could still theoretically request a ban for a separate hearing date, it most likely won't be able to do so before the June 21 launch of the Galaxy S III in the U.S.
It's no secret that Apple thinks Samsung products are generally shameless ripoffs of their own. In the case of the Samsung Galaxy S III, a Samsung lawyer commented that Apple is only trying to "prevent a phone from getting to the public that is better than Apple's in many, many respects."
"U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh in San Jose, California, effectively dashed Apple's hopes of stopping the launch of Samsung Electronics Co Ltd's new Galaxy S III smartphone, which also runs on Android. Koh had said Apple's push to get a court order blocking the June 21 launch would overload her calendar… Koh last week said Apple could ask for a temporary restraining order against the Galaxy S III phone, but that would likely delay the trial over a Galaxy tablet and other smartphones. In her order on Monday, the judge said Apple would have to request a new hearing date if it wanted to stop sales of the Galaxy S III phone. That likely would not take place before the phone's scheduled launch. Apple has not said what its next move will be."