ASRock Z77 OC Formula Review
Today we take a look at the Z77 OC Formula, ASRock's first attempt at an extreme overclocking motherboard. We will go over every aspect from their new digital power delivery to the overclocking, no holds barred. This board is targeted towards extreme overclockers and has a lot of innovation, so follow us as we put it through its paces.
In recent years ASRock moved up to the number three spot when it comes to consumer motherboard makers, rapidly overtaking MSI and other smaller manufacturers. One of the reasons is because ASRock's parent company Pegatron is a huge manufacturer of motherboards for many companies including ASRock, however they don't directly sell motherboards to the public, which is what ASRock is for. That means that ASRock has a huge backing, they have enough resources to make very high-end motherboards such as ASUS’s ROG series, however the market isn’t so fit for many vendors selling extreme high-end products as the demand just isn’t there. What is surprising is that with Z77 we see a lot of enthusiast’s boards at a pretty mid-range price, and unlike before, manufacturers are focusing to make overclocking motherboards rather than workstation ones.
It is very interesting how Z77 has brought out the best in every company, you have more overclocking centric boards than ever before, which is a sign that the market is starting to finally embrace the "Power User" scene. Thus it isn't odd that ASRock is bring out a board with voltage read points for once, and some other new overclocking features. They are trying to entice a very specific group of overclockers, the extreme liquid nitrogen using overclockers. Like always we will give you an unadultered review of ASRock's new overclocking motherboard, the Z77 OC Formula.
ASRock Z77 OC Formula
- Supports 3rd and 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7 / i5 / i3 in LGA1155 Package
DMI 2.0 4X
- Dual Channel DDR3 memory technology
- 2 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots (PCIE2/PCIE4: single at x16 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE4) or dual at x8/x8 mode)
- 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by Intel® Z77, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10, Intel® Rapid Storage and Intel® Smart Response Technology), NCQ, AHCI and "Hot Plug" functions
- PCIE x1 Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s
- 7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC898 Audio Codec)
- 2 x Rear USB 3.0 ports by Intel® Z77, support USB 1.0/2.0/3.0 up to 5Gb/s
OC Formula Power Kit
- 1 x ASRock SLI_Bridge_2S Card
64MBit Flash ROM
- EATX Form Factor: 12.0-in x 10.5-in, 30.5 cm x 26.7 cm