sgs3 vs htc one x Can HTCs One X take on Samsungs Galaxy S III in Korea?

Taiwan's HTC is planning on releasing the One X in Korea some time next month, but how will it carve out any market share if its competing in market dominated by domestic firms?  The HTC One X is a flagship product, and so is the Samsung Galaxy S III, but can the One X really take on the Korean market?

sgs3 vs htc one x(1) Can HTCs One X take on Samsungs Galaxy S III in Korea?

Taiwan's HTC is planning on releasing the One X in Korea some time next month, but how will it carve out any market share if its competing in market dominated by domestic firms?  The HTC One X is a flagship product, and so is the Samsung Galaxy S III, but can the One X really take on the Korean market?

HTC has been producing relatively good products thus far, and the HTC One X is a prime example of HTC’s smartphone prowess. 

According to koreatimes.co.kr, Samsung, LG, and Pantech control 99% of the Korean cellphone market—thus, that leaves a meager 1% for foreign firms to occupy.  Despite sharing very similar specs (at least in numbers anyway), the One X and S III (non-North American versions) are actually quite different. 

HTC One X

Samsung Galaxy S III

 Display

 4.7’’ Super IPS 720P

 4.7’’ Super AMOLED 720P

 CPU

 Quad-core 1.5GHz Tegra 3

 Quad-core 1.5GHz Exynos

 Memory

Max 32 GB storage

Max 64 GB storage

 RAM

 1 GB

 1 GB

 Dimension

 134 x 70 x 8.9mm

 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6mm

 Weight

 130g

 133g

 

If we were to compare the specs of the two phones, the One X loses out in the memory department as its 32 GB version is substantially lower than the S III’s 64 GB version.  Both boast quad core CPU’s, but the Exynos' biggest advantage is that it’s manufactured under 32nm fabrication, as compared to the Tegra’s 40nm process.  The display technology is actually a bit more complicated as it really depends on the conditions and areas in which the phone operates.  You would have to be a super display junkie to really see a “big” difference. 

We can compare and analyze the specs of the two phones down to the tiniest details, but for simplicity sake, the SIII is slightly better than the One X.  Hence, HTC is not trying to beat out Samsung in the specs department, but rather they are going to retail the phone for less.  Korean analysts speculate that HTC will set the price of the One X at 800,000 won (~685 USD) as compared to the SIII’s 900,000 won (~770 USD). 

“Putting the actual quality and features of the new phone aside, foreign models just can’t withstand the overwhelming edge in brand image that Korean companies like Samsung or LG have,” a Korean industry official told koreatimes.co.kr.  

National pride for a domestic product may be HTC’s biggest challenge in trying to sell their One X in Korea, and it doesn’t seem like a 1% market share is worth putting too much effort into.