Epic Games and Microsoft releases developer video documentary for upcoming Gears of War 3 game
Gears of War 3 is still a full four months away from its global launch on September 20 this year, but that does not mean that gamers have to sit by idly and start crossing off the dates on their calendar until that day arrives. If you happen to not mind getting 'poisoned' by sneak previews and hints about what one can expect from the game, Microsoft has got something for you: a new developer video documentary which “divulges the exclusive contents of the “Gears of War 3” Epic and Limited Editions”. Gamers, let the “poisoning” begin.
As most gamers will undoubtedly know, waiting by the sidelines for a highly anticipated title to launch can be quite the nerve-wrecking event, especially when one has not been able to secure early access to the game's beta channels before they are scheduled to go permanently offline today. However, if you are the kind of gamer who thrives on getting as much information about the game before it eventually launches globally, Microsoft may have just the thing for you, and it comes in the form of a just-released video documentary for the upcoming Gears of War 3 game for the Xbox 360.
Titled “Making Gears 3: Inside the Wicked Workshop”, Microsoft claims in a press release issued today that the video documentary will focus on Chris Perna, who is currently working for Epic Games as an Art Director. According to Microsoft, Chris will be talking about how he conceived the characters and settings for one of the bestselling games for Microsoft's video game console, but the real draw will have to be the revelation of two special editions of the game, the Limited Edition and Epic Edition, with each version boasting its own various unique and exclusive freebies that come bundled with the game.
Touted as the 'must-have' for fans who want to “celebrate the culmination” of the Gears of War trilogy, the Limited Edition will include the following:
- An Octus Award Box and Octus Service Medal – Replicas of the honors bestowed on Adam Fenix, Marcus’s father, for his work on the Hammer of Dawn.
- Exclusive Unlockable Adam Fenix Multiplayer Character – Each Octus Service Medal replica is engraved with a unique Xbox LIVE code that is the only way to unlock Adam Fenix in multiplayer.
- A fabric COG Flag – Proud colors that once flew above the House of Sovereigns.
- The personal effects of Adam Fenix, including his “Last Will and Testament,” the initial Hammer of Dawn schematic, and other Fenix family mementos.
For the hardcore fans…well, the job of satisfying them falls to the aptly-named Epic Bundle. And from the looks of it, the Epic Bundle is definitely the most epic of the two special editions; in addition to getting all of the goodies available in the Limited Edition, gamers will also get to enjoy the following:
- A Limited Edition Marcus Fenix Statue – Designed by Epic Games Art Director Chris Perna and expertly crafted by the artisans at Triforce, this fine PVC statue collectible makes the ultimate living room centerpiece for any true “Gears” fan.
- The Art and Design of Gears of War by Tom Bissell – Through unprecedented access to the Epic Games team, acclaimed author Tom Bissell (Extra Lives) gives readers an incisive behind-the-scenes glimpse into one of the most celebrated sagas in video game history with 96 pages of interviews, photos, concept artwork and more.
- Infected Omen Weapon Pack — Custom multiplayer skins for the game’s five starting weapons; Lancer, Retro Lancer, Hammerburst, Sawed-off Shotgun, and Gnasher Shotgun.
Ironically, a quick look at Microsoft's Gears of War home page reveals that the aforementioned video documentary has not been made available for public viewing on the site yet, but we are fairly certain that it will only be a matter of time before the video is eventually published.
Erm…excuse me Microsoft? We seem to be missing a video…
Last but not least, if any of the above special edition packs of Gears of War strikes for your fancy, our advice would be to start saving now, for these special edition packs are going to be quite costly. Just so you know, the Limited Edition will be retailing for US$79.99, while the Epic Edition will boast an equally epic price tag of US$149.99.