Google is pushing out their first software update for the Explorer Edition Glass units. Dubbed XE5, this update brings a ton of new features and enhancements for Google's fresh new product.
Google's been busy since the launch of their Glass Explorer Edition kits. The software giant is now rolling out their first update for Google Glass. Dubbed XE5, this new update fixes a ton of issues that users were facing with their kits. Listed below is the complete change-log as posted on Phandroid and The Verge.
XE5 Update Change-log
- Change to sync policy: require power + WiFi for background uploads
- Crash reporting
- Incoming G+ notifications (direct shares, comments, +mentions), including ability to comment and +1
- Incoming Hangout notifications
- Transcription of queries & messages is now wicked-fast
- Long-press to search from anywhere in the UI (no longer just from off)
- International number dialing + SMS
- Hop animation on disallowed swipes in the UI
- New On-Head Detection calibration flow
- Show device Serial Number on Device Info card
- More reliable estimation of battery charge remaining
- New recipient-list mosaic
Google has changed an important policy with the update. From now on, apps will upload/sync data with your account only when Glass is connected to a local Wi-Fi as well as the charger. We understand the Wi-Fi requirement but certainly don't understand why the power source is required, perhaps to enhance battery life while on the go. Glass will not display your Google+ notifications as well as giving you to ability to +1, post and comment directly via Glass. Also Google has updated the battery indicator to make it display your battery percentage more accurately, although it doesn't affect the longevity of your battery life.
To all those with a Google Glass Explorer Edition set, plug in your charger to receive the update.