Google Launches First Interactive Pac-Man Doodle
To celebrate Pac-man’s 30th anniversary, Google is launching their first ever Pac-man interactive doodle on 22 May 2010. You can play the game directly on the Google doodle, until next monday (24 May 2010).
Don’t be surprised if you see this new Google Doodle. To celebrate Pac-man’s 30th anniversary, the search engine giant has created this interactive doodle for users to relive the game. Yes, you can play directly on the Google Doodle. Simply click on the “insert coin” button to play the all-time favorite game, or wait 10 seconds for the game to automatically start.
Users have approximately 48 hours to challenge themselves to reach the 255th level until the doodle goes down at 12 midnight next Monday (24 May).
Ten facts about Pac-Man:-
1. Pac-Man was the first game to produce video game related character goods
2. The name came from the eating sound for “chomp” in Japanese, “paku-paku”
3. In 2005, Pac-Man received the Guinness World Records award for being the “Most Successful Coin-Operated Game”
4. In 2010, Guinness World Records: Gaming Edition, Pac-Man was proclaimed to be the best known Video Game Character, beating both the Mario Brothers and Sonic the Hedgehog
5. Each of the 4 ghosts has its Japanese and English names. In Japan they started as Fickle, Chaser, Ambusher and Stupid. Their English names are known as Inky, Blinky, Pinky, and Clyde
6. Pac-Man was the first “cute” game produced and was created around the idea of women, men and couples playing video games. Before Pac-Man, games were primarily space shooters and/or alien games. The color of the ghosts were intentional as Iwatani-san thought that colorful enemies would be harder to dislike
7. The arcade version of Pac-Man first launched in Tokyo, Japan on May 22, 1980; it launched in the U.S. in October 1980
8. The game was originally called PUCK MAN but was not accepted in the U.S. because if part of the “P” chipped off it would turn into an “F”
9. The game’s popularity in North America is especially notable as the arcade machine sold more than 100,000 units in its first year of production
10. Pac-Man became an economic term. When a company that is about to be acquired instead takes over the hostile company that was attempting to acquire it, it’s called the “Pac-Man” defense. The name was coined after the role reversal that occurs when Pac-Man eats power cookies
And in case you are interested to know, Google mentions that –
• All 255 levels of the original Pac-Man is available, include the garbled level 256 also known as the “kill screen”
• All original sounds, visuals and colours are used within the doodle
• There is a bug in the original Pac-Man game that results in Pac-Man sometimes going through a ghost unharmed. This is recreated in our game too
• Ms. Pac-Man even gets her own sounds and death sequence