Normand Corbeil, the renowned Canadian composer behind Heavy Rain's award-winning soundtrack, has recently passed away from cancer at the age of 56.
The world of gaming has lost one of the most talented composers: Normand Corbeil, the Canadian melodist who brought us Heavy Rain's magical score, has passed away from pancreatic cancer at the age of 56.
"My father, Normand Corbeil, 56, passed away today at 2:56 PM. He was a great composer and an amazing dad… I am in shock."
His son's signature on the forum reads:
"- Dad, 56, diagnosed with Stage IV Pancreatic Cancer August 15, 2012.
- Dad passed away January 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM."
Corbeil (center) and his orchestra create the magic of music.
Music is one of the most important elements in any entertainment; whether its film or video games, music shapes the overall experience and has a profound impact on our emotions. Normand Corbeil's work as a composer has had such an impact on the world of music, and has had a long and varied career with compositions for a multitude of films, television series, and video games.
As the composer of the award-winning PS3 classic Heavy Rain, Corbeil brought the game to life with sound, shaping complex emotions within gamers to deliver an experience that pulled at our heartstrings.
Heavy Rain's soundtrack was highly praised, and went on to win various honors including an award from BAFTA for best original music. Before his death, Corbeil was also working on Quantic Dreams' newest game Beyond Two Souls.
Below is a selection of some of his work as a composer:
- 2000 : Reaper
- 2001 : Pretty When You Cry
- 2002 : The Gates of beyond (Living with the Dead) (TV)
- 2002 : The Extremists (Extreme Ops)
- 2003 : Great Bear (TV series)
- 2003 : Lost Junction
- 2003 : The Pentagon Papers (TV)
- 2003 : Hitler: the birth of evil (Hitler: The Rise of Evil) (TV)
- 2003 : Defending Our Kids: The Julie Posey Story (TV)
- 2003 : Crime against Humanity (The Artist)
- 2004 : A Different Loyalty
- 2004 : Napola – Elite für den Führer
- 2004 : The Five
- 2004 : Frankenstein (TV)
- 2005 : Lies My Mother Told Me (TV)
- 2005 : Human Trafficking (TV)
- 2006 : The Contract of Bruce Beresford
With Corbeil's death the world has certainly lost one of the most talented melodists of our era. While we may never come across someone with his deep passion or gifted abilities, his impact on the realm of music and entertainment will remain forever.