An Apple iPad Air reportedly exploded at a Vodafone retail store in Canberra, Australia, prompting the need to call the fire department to put out the flames and smoke.


Whenever word of a mobile device exploding or melting or what have you gets out, one of the first thoughts on everyone’s minds is usually “that guy must have been using an unofficial charger, battery or other accessory.” Most of the time that is actually the case, but when your “lightest and thinnest tablet ever” explodes when sitting idle at a retail shop, well, there’s no one to blame but the company itself for the poor quality assurance.

Hopefully, this was a one-off incident that won’t be repeated, and what was actually the reason is something we’ll find out when Apple takes a look at the affected device. For now, Apple remains mum on the incident, though an Apple representative supposedly did go pick up the blown up tablet from the store, so it shouldn’t be long before an official statement comes along to shed some light on the matter.

Source: Daily Mail