iPhone OS 4 – What You will Get!
- Multi-tasking: Double-clicking the Home Button opens up a tray of applications
- Faster App Switching
- Notifications can now be sent from the apps to you. Think of it as a way to remind you when you switch an app and something critical happened.
- Folders are now introduced to iPhone OS 4. Clutter no more. A folder can store apps, and also be put into the dock.
- Unified Inbox and support for threaded messages in new email app. Multiple Exchange accounts supported. Exchange 2010 is supported too.
- Wallpaper for your homescreen and lock screen (Jailbreakers have them long ago)
- iBooks for iPhone
- Game Center - Apple is introducing a centralised gaming service (think Playstation Network or Xbox Live). Multiplayer, leaderboard, social interactivity features will be there.
- iAd - Developers can use APIs to develop ads, a plugin that keeps the users in the app rather than clicking a link and popping uip a browser window. You can also do things within the ad such as playing a game, watching a video, etc. Done in HTML 5 only. Think of it as a popover ad window with interactive features. You can even buy things within the ad. Apple will sell and host ads, give developers 60%
split of revenue
- Video recording now has “tap to focus” feature
- Camera function will get 5x digital zoom.
- Better Voice Control – Composing your email with your voice, anyone?
- Support for bluetooth keyboards in OS 4
- Better data encryption. There will be APIs available so
developers can encrypt stuff inside their own apps. Emails and attachments can be encypted
- Calendar Access – Apps can now create and edit events directly in the Calendar app with
- You can now use cell towers to do location tracking instead of GPS. A feature that Apple implements to resolve issues such as location tracking apps that do not update once you exit from it.
- Companies can distribute apps via their servers
instead of via iTunes on WLAN
- Support for SSL VPN from Juniper and Cisco
- iPhone OS 4 will get background VOIP feature
- 1500 new APIs added into the new OS. Apple claims 100 new user features
- No Flash support. HTML 5 is integrated for iAd
iPhone OS 4 will be launching this Summer for iPhone 3GS and iPod 3rd gen.
iPhone 3G and iPod 2nd gen will not get full features. Multi-tasking will not be supported for these 2 models. The old iPhone wasn’t mentioned.
iPad users will get it on Fall 2010
Developer preview is available today.