Motorcycle drivers have been left out in the cold when it comes to using a wide array of technology in their vehicles. That may not last long if this interesting idea gets any funding.
It’s no mystery why motorcyclists aren’t able to easily use things such as GPS, it’s because they lack a spacious dashboard to place such devices on. One thing that most drivers of that type of vehicle have in common though, is that they wear helmets. The LiveMap team is looking to fund a new project on Indiegogo which promises to add GPS and augmented reality technology right into a helmet. If the benefits weren’t immediately obvious, they’ve gone ahead and listed in point form what this enables you to do as well as other details:
- augmented reality for easy and user-friendly navigation
- clearly visible collimated image i.e. it is always in focus, just like that in scope sights
- full-color, translucent picture is projected right on the visor like in a F-35 fighter helmet, it’s safe, provides unobstructed view, doesn’t distract attention and eliminates the need for a separate display
- supposed size of the system fits a motorcycle helmet – our helmet is going to be just a bit bigger than usual
- two 3000 mAh batteries for a long operation time
- microphone for voice control that keeps both hands free for driving
- two earphones
- light sensor for adjusting the image brightness according to external light conditions
- G-sensor, gyroscope, digital compass for head movement tracking (the picture changes according to the view direction)
- our own minimalistic interface that will be used instead of standard Android interface. Thus you will not be able to play games or watch video on the go, sorry!
As you see in the video above, the navigation would be projected onto the visor allowing the rider to use it hands free and without having to take their eyes off the road. With two 3000 mAh batteries it should also last for quite a bit of time and there’s also a neat feature to call the authorities in case of emergency built into the helmet.
Hopefully they get the funding they need not only because it’s a market that is largely being ignored, but also because it’s just plain cool.