North Korea accuses South Korea and U.S. of cyber-warfare
The most recent accusations coming out of North Korea now are accusations of cyber espionage by the U.S. and South Korea. Both allies have not made any official statements, but some are saying China is more likely to blame for the recent attacks on the North’s state-run websites.
Security experts say that it may take months before it can be proven where the cyber-attacks came from. South Korea says that China is more likely to blame since information on their software and infrastructure is better known than in the U.S.
Beginning earlier last week Internet access in Pyongyang was random and slow at best. Loxley Pacific Company, which handles the Internet into North Korea, said that the server attacks took down a good portion of North Korea’s Internet access at Pyongyang. Loxley Pacific, which is a Thailand based ISP, said they were not able to determine where the attacks originated or even summarize exactly how it was done for now, and it may take weeks to determine the origin.
North Korea’s official state news agency, Korean Central News, immediately blamed South Korea and the United States and fired off more rhetoric on why the North was ready for any kind of hostile military action.
Loxley Pacific has only been providing broadband Internet service since 2010 through a cooperative effort with North Korea. They said that were able to get the Internet back to normal operations this past Saturday. The Associated Press, which has journalists in Pyongyang, also confirmed that Internet access was again available.
The Internet in North Korea is very much a luxury and is highly restricted to most inhabitants living there. Those that do have access will find that searches and websites are highly censored or blocked all together.
North Korea's accusations against the U.S. and their southern neighbor have been highly inflammatory since the U.N. agreed to stiffer sanctions on the country, most of which came after the North conducted another nuclear weapon detonation test. North Korea has publicly stated that they will attack the U.S. with a nuclear bomb and fight to take over South Korea, essentially declaring the armistice agreements signed in July of 1953 to be invalid.