NVIDIA announced the nForce™3 Ultra MCP, a new media and communications processor for motherboards and PC systems based on the AMD64 computing platform.
- Industry’s only single-chip, core-logic solution
- Native Gigabit Ethernet interface
- Hardware-optimised Firewall security solution
- NVIDIA AutoTuning, a new performance-enhancing feature for all NVIDIA nForce3 MCPs that automatically adjusts PC clock speeds to maximise overall system performance
- Support for up to four Serial ATA and four Parallel ATA hard drives
- Advanced RAID support
NVIDIA Corporation, the worldwide leader in visual and media processing solutions, today announced the NVIDIA nForce™3 Ultra MCP, a new media and communications processor for motherboards and PC systems based on the AMD64 computing platform. The NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra MCP is the industry’s only single-chip, core-logic solution delivering performance and stability with the most innovative technology and features, including the world’s first and only native Gigabit Ethernet interface and hardware-optimised Firewall security solution, for enthusiast class/high-end PCs running AMD Athlon™ 64 FX 53 processors now available in AMD’s new 939-pin packaging.
The NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra MCP incorporates cutting-edge networking, security, and storage technologies that help reduce CPU overhead and improve overall system performance, while delivering advanced features, functionality, and system stability.
Today’s launch also marks the introduction of NVIDIA AutoTuning, a new performance-enhancing feature for all NVIDIA nForce3 MCPs that automatically adjusts PC clock speeds to maximise overall system performance — all without requiring any end-user intervention. In addition to NVIDIA AutoTuning, other key features of the NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra include:
- Native Gigabit Ethernet: The NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra MCP offers the industry’s only native Gigabit Ethernet networking solution, providing over 200% more networking bandwidth when compared to older PCI-based Gigabit Ethernet solutions, but uses 20% less CPU overhead in the process[i].
- NVIDIA Firewall: The NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra MCP provides the industry’s first and only hardware-optimised Firewall solution delivering personal PC protection against network level hacking attacks, viruses, worms, and other common security risks, and additional advanced features, including anti-hacking features, logging capability, domain name filtering, and remote manageability for experienced users and IT professionals.
- Advanced RAID and Storage Support: NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra provides advanced storage capabilities, including native support for multiple disk RAID environments, a unique “spare disk” feature for additional back-up and data integrity; and integrated support for up to four Serial ATA and four Parallel ATA hard drives simultaneously — up to eight drives in total.
“NVIDIA’s nForce family — including the new nForce3 Ultra MCP — is an excellent complement to the power, stability, and rich computing environment enabled by AMD Athlon 64 FX 53 processors,” said Marty Seyer, vice president and general manager of AMD’s Microprocessor Business Unit. “Together, AMD and NVIDIA are delivering a PC platform to drive high-definition content, high-speed networking and high-performance gaming. Users can also take comfort in knowing AMD64 platforms have Enhanced Virus Protection built in, which, when enabled by the upcoming Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2, will help provide a more secure computing environment.”
NVIDIA is also committed to providing consumers with an outstanding out-of-the-box experience when using NVIDIA nForce-based PCs and motherboards. The NVIDIA Forceware software package, which is available for free from www.nvidia.com, provides NVIDIA nForce users with a suite of utilities for additional usability and innovative features, including NVIDIA RAID — a simple to use interface to configure and monitor RAID set-ups; NVMixer — an audio application that allows users to set up their speakers, configure the integrated equalizer and audio environment settings, and monitor audio statistics, chipset, and audio codec information; and NVIDIA System Utility — which provides gamers and PC enthusiasts with an easy-to-use interface for on-the-fly (real-time) overclocking in Windows®, BIOS tweaking, and system monitoring, including memory DIMM information and driver version statistics.
PC systems and motherboards based on the NVIDIA nForce MCPs are currently available from leading manufacturers, including: ABIT Computer Corp., AOpen, ASUSTeK Computer Inc., Biostar Microtech Int’l Corp., Chaintech Computer Co. Ltd., DFI, EPoX International Inc., Giga-Byte Technology, Jetway Information Co. Ltd., Leadtek, MSI, Shuttle Computer Group, Inc., Soltek Computer Inc. and XFX.