Green has been greatly emphasized in recent months and it is the reason why many tech companies including Samsung are coming up with greener products. Today, the Korean manufacturer has announced their new Reclaim eco-friendly phone in the US which will be available from 16 August.
Seoul, August 07, 2009 — Sprint is making it easier than ever for customers to “go green” with new eco-friendly products, services and programs and expanding its commitment as a leader in sustainability. Available on Aug. 16, Sprint and Samsung Mobile today announced Samsung Reclaim™ as the first phone in the U.S. constructed from eco-friendly bio-plastic materials. Made from 80 percent recyclable materials, Samsung Reclaim is a feature-rich messaging phone that offers environmentally conscious customers a perfect blend of responsibility without sacrificing the latest in network speeds and must-have features.
Reclaim is the most full-featured QWERTY phone launched by Sprint at less than US$50. It will be available on August 16 in all Sprint retail channels, including Best Buy, Radio Shack, Web (http://www.sprint.com/) and telesales (1-800-SPRINT1) for just $49.99 with a two-year service agreement after a $30 instant rebate and a $50 mail-in rebate (taxes and service charges excluded.) It will be available at Wal-Mart in early September.
When customers purchase Samsung Reclaim from Sprint, $2 of the proceeds will benefit the Nature Conservancy‘s Adopt an Acre program, which supports land conservation across the United States and protects some of the world’s most beautiful and important natural habitats.
Sprint is also launching several new environmental initiatives in an effort to support its aggressive long-term environmental goals:
· Sprint is the first U.S. wireless carrier to establish a set of environmental design criteria for future devices and accessories.
· Sprint is implementing a series of new environmentally-responsible retail initiatives including adding a dedicated display area in stores that highlights Sprint’s commitment to eco-friendly products and accessories.
· Sprint is committing to reduce paper usage by 30 percent during the next five years.
DEFINING GREEN WITH SAMSUNG RECLAIM
An eco-friendly overachiever, Samsung Reclaim from Sprint is designed with environmentally-responsible components and fully recyclable packaging, making it the perfect wireless phone for the eco-conscious consumer.
· Its bio-plastic material, made from corn makes up 40 percent of the Reclaim’s outer casing. Samsung Reclaim is free of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), phthalates, and nearly free of brominated flame retardants (BFR): three materials commonly targeted on green electronics guidelines.
· The outer packaging and the phone tray inside the box are made from 70 percent recycled materials. The images and text on the box as well as the phone warranty information are printed with soy-based ink.
· The typical thick paper user manual has been replaced with a virtual manual that users can access at www.sprint.com/reclaimsupport.
· The charger is Energy Star approved for meeting the highest energy efficiency standards set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy. It consumes 12 times less power than the Energy Star standard for standby power consumption and is equipped with a visible notification to alert the user to unplug the handset once it’s fully charged.
Operating on America’s most dependable 3G network2, Samsung Reclaim boasts One Click, Sprint’s award-winning customizable user interface with quick access to such social networks as Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and YouTube. A new green One Click tile makes its debut on Reclaim providing the gateway to several green applications including:
· Five Simple Steps from Discovery Channel provides five simple changes you can make to be more eco-friendly, from how you commute to what you eat for dinner;
· Green Guides from Discovery Channel offers handy guides to help you green your lives with ease, and understand why;
· Green Glossary from Discovery Channel provides words and explanations about the Earth and Climate Change; and
· All Things Green, a Sprint Web category contains dynamic green headlines and links to downloadable content.
Customers don’t have to sacrifice the latest in technology to be environmentally-friendly with Reclaim. The stylish, full-featured phone offers:
- Slide-out full QWERTY keyboard making it easy to access personal or corporate email as well as text and multimedia messaging;
- Sprint Navigation with Search, providing easy access to directory information and GPS-enabled directions;
- 2 megapixel camera with 3x digital zoom and camcorder;
- advanced stereo Bluetooth® 2.0;
- expandable memory storage up to 32GB;
- an integrated Web browser; and
- two color options – Earth Green and Ocean Blue
Source: Korea Newswire