‘Shadow of the Colossus’ offered as this week’s PS Plus freebie
This week’s PlayStation Plus freebie is gigantic in both form and standing within the gaming community. Team Ico’s widely acclaimed and celebrated PS2 classic Shadow of the Colossus is now available as a free Instant Game Collection download for PS+ members.
If you’re one of the many gamers who have played Shadow of the Colossus, then no introduction is needed; you already know of the game’s incredible fantasy-infused majesty. Hailed as one of the most original and moving adventures in video game history, Team Ico’s masterpiece takes gamers on a timeless journey across a strange, ancient land to save a maiden’s soul–but in order to do so, Wander, our hero, must slay sixteen hulking behemoths known as “colossi”.
The game has been celebrated for its engaging gameplay, immersive environments and minimalist landscapes, and its musical score has been highly praised by gamers across the world. If you’re a member of PlayStation Plus, don’t let this one pass you by–it’s an experience that encapsulates the magic of fantasy gaming as a whole.
Apart from this week’s Instant Game Collection freebie, a plethora of digital titles have been marked down for PS+ users, including some of the original adventures of PlayStation icons like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon.
- Worms Crazy Golf ($2.50)
- Deadpool ($39.59)
- Fast & Furious: Showdown ($19.99)
- Angry Birds: Trilogy ($20.99)
- Angry Birds: Trilogy – Anger Management Pack ($2.99)
- Angry Birds: Trilogy – Fowl Tempered Pack ($2.99)
- Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse ($29.99)
- Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse – Peter Griffin’s Man Boob Mega Sweat Pack ($2.99)
- The Amazing Spider-Man ($20.99)
- Men in Black: Alien Crisis ($20.99)
- Prototype ($10.49)
- Tony Hawk: Pro Skater HD ($7.99)
- Tony Hawk: Pro Skater HD – Revert Pack ($2.99)
- Transformers: Fall of Cybertron ($35.99)
- Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Ultimate Edition ($62.99)
- Crash Bandicoot ($2.99)
- Crash Bandicoot 2 ($2.99)
- Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped ($2.99)
- CTR: Crash Team Racing ($2.99)
- Spyro: Year of the Dragon ($2.99)
- Spyro: The Dragon ($2.99)
- Spyro 2: Ripto’s Rage! ($2.99)
While Microsoft is picking up on the free game rewards model for their premium Xbox LIVE Gold subscriptions, Sony’s PlayStation Plus offerings hit the mark more often with high-quality, fan-favorite games. PS+ members also receive discounts and other benefits–along with the weekly freebie offering–that overshadows that of Microsoft’s “one free game a month” model, and with next-gen right around the corner Sony’s premium subscription should gain even more momentum.
Additionally be sure to snag Saint’s Row: The Third from the Instant Game Collection if you haven’t already–it stops being free on Oct. 15, along with discounts on Retro City Rampage and other digital goodies.
For more info on PlayStation Plus discounts and offerings be sure to head on over to the official PSN website.
Via PlayStation Blog