Sony has announced the firmware upgrades for their interchangeable lens and digital SLR cameras – NEX-5, NEX-3, Sony Alpha SLT-A33 and SLT-A55. Read on to see what additional functions are included.
According to Sony, the upgrade is applicable to NEX-5 and NEX-3 cameras with firmware versions ver.01, ver.02 and ver.03 and SLT-A33 and SLT-A55 cameras with firmware version ver.1.10.
The upgrade for the NEX-5 and NEX-3 will include the addition of the following functions:
1) The Picture Effect.
This function will be found in the “Shoot Mode” menu whereby seven new different types of picture effects will be added.
The picture effects are:
– Posterisation (Color/B/W)
– Pop Color
– Retro Photo
– Partial Color (Red/Green/Blue/Yellow)
– High Contrast Monochrome
– Toy Camera
2) The Peaking Function
This function will enhance the outline of in-focus ranges with a specific color at manual focus which helps display the focus area easily. There will be three levels with three colors to select from.
3) Sony Alpha Logo on the LCD Monitor
When switching off the power button, the Sony Alpha logo will be displayed on the LCD monitor while the camera’s system is processing for shut down.
The upgrade for the SLT-A33 and SLT-A35 will include the following additions:
1) The Picture Effect
2) Ability to customise frequently-used features and functions to the D-RANGE button
3) New mode to turn off display parameters
4) Improved operability of the menu
5) High-Speed Synchronisation via wireless lighting operation of the applicable external flash (only “55”)
6) Will now have a digital level gauge when using the optional external monitor such as the clip-on LCD monitor, the CLM-V55.
The firmware upgrade will be available from 20 June 2011 onwards and can either be manually downloaded from the Sony Support Website or by visiting any Sony Style shop where upgrading services will be made available for free for products still under warranty. A service charge will be incurred for products that have passed the warranty date.