Thortech Thunderbolt PLUS 800W PSU Review
Today we are going to test Thortech’s very first power supply unit, the Thunderbolt PLUS 800W. Thortech Power is a subsidiary of GeIL, a well-known RAM manufacturer. Seeing a RAM manufacturer releasing a PSU is nothing new; several more have done so in the past. However, GeIL’s approach differs because their PSU is designed ground-up by their own engineers.
Much unlike a decade ago when enthusiasts only had a couple of high quality power supply units (PSU) to choose from, there are tens of companies competing for a piece of the power supply market these days. Most of the original PSU manufacturers still remain active, but over the years many new ones were founded and several companies which were originally focused on other fields, such as RAM or cooling solutions, entered the power supply market.
Today we are going to review the first power supply from GeIL, a well known RAM manufacturer. GeIL founded a subsidiary company named Thortech Power, taking their name from the ancient Norse god of Lighting Thor, to market their power supply products. Seeing a RAM manufacturer releasing a power supply product is nothing new; several more have done so in the past. However, GeIL’s approach differs because their power supply is not an enhanced version of the base design of some well-known OEM; GeIL’s power supply is a unique product designed by their own engineers. Let us check out the Thortech Thunderbolt PLUS 800W PSU.
Thortech Thunderbolt PLUS 800W features and specifications
- Efficiency performance >87% with 80 PLUS Gold certification
- Single +12V rail design providing up to 65A (800W)
- iPower Meter: Industry’s 1st interactive PSU control panel, chassis panel mounting 5.25″
- Modulized Cable Management
- Complies with all the latest Intel and AMD CPU
- Designed to sustain at 50°C ambient with full wattage output
- Interleaved Active PFC circuit helps to provide perfect PF value >0.99
- Supports ATX 12V V2.3 and EPS 12V V2.91 standards
- 135mm Ball Bearing Fan with smart fan control circuit to provide better system airflow
- Smart Fan Control Technology Ready
- Support NVIDIA SLI and ATI Crossfire multiple graphic cards platform
- Low ESR 105°C solid state capacitors
- Multi-Protection as OCP / OVP / OPP / UVP / SCP / OTP
- MTBF: 120,000 hours
- Safety Approvals: CUL, TÜV, CB, CE, FCC, CCC
- Five Year Warranty