It has been five years since Apple’s app store launched, and since then, it has amassed nigh a million apps in its library. Which ones are the highest grossing iPhone apps of all time?
Apple’s iPhone app store launched five years ago. Today, it has 900,000 apps and nearly 50 billion (with a b!) downloads. Averaged out over the app store’s lifetime, that’s around 800 download every second. Even with that many downloads it’s hard for an app to find recognition among so many peers; most apps are hardly successful. However, a select few do rise to the top, and Apple has released some stats on exactly which Apps are the highest grossing, most successful apps of all time. Apple didn’t release the actual sale numbers, but nevertheless, we’ve got the list! How many do you have on your phone?
10. MLB.com At Bat - This app lets you the free MLB.tv baseball game every day, or if you have a premium subscription, you can watch any out of market MLB game.
9. Minecraft Pocket Edition – Despite only being released last year, this popular sandbox game has already made the top ten. Dig, build, fight creepers; you don’t need an introduction to this one.
8. The Simpsons: Tapped Out – Everyone loves The Simpsons it seems. This game lets you build your own Springfield after Homer destroys it.
7. The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle Earth – This is a Hobbit themed MMO-game which lets you build your own city and battle other players online.
6. Kingdoms of Camelot: Battle for the North – Made by the same developer that claimed the #7 spot, this MMO has 7.5 million players and reached the iPhone #1 spot in 68 countries.
5. Hay Day – This Farmville clone obviously has Facebook’s many farmers to thank for its success.
4. Marvel War of Heroes – An official Marvel battle game features Spider Man, The Hulk, Iron Man and many others.
3. Pandora Radio – After a long list of games, we finally have something different: A music app. Pandora is internet radio that personalizes the music after your tastes.
2. Clash of Clans – And we’re back to games. Surprise surprise, it’s an MMO that lets you build a village and battle others set to a cave-man theme.
1. Candy Crush Saga – A recent release, and yet another match-3 game, this candy-themed game has nevertheless seen huge success and quickly climbed to become the top grossing app ever on the app store.
This is the most successful thing in the app store. No comment.
Did the list meet your expectations? Seeing as the iPhone is a perfect tool for entertaining yourself while sitting in dreary waiting rooms, it isn’t surprising that the majority of apps on this list are games. It is notable however, that many of them are very similar MMOs, sharing core mechanics and sometimes even developers. Meanwhile, bigger budget game developers for the iPhone, like Gameloft, are nowhere to be seen.