Today during the D9 Conference, Microsoft showcased its next operating system – "Windows 8" (Next) designed to run on desktops, tablets and smartphones, with a radical new unified touch-friendly tile-based UI design.
These were the ideas they were keen to demostrate:
- Fast launching of apps from a tile-based Start screen, which replaces the Windows Start menu with a customizable, scalable full-screen view of apps.
- Live tiles with notifications, showing always up-to-date information from your apps.
- Fluid, natural switching between running apps.
- Convenient ability to snap and resize an app to the side of the screen, so you can really multitask using the capabilities of Windows.
- Fully touch-optimized browsing, with all the power of hardware-accelerated Internet Explorer 10.
Microsoft promised to reveal more elements of its next operating system during their developer event, BUILD (Sept. 13 – 16 in Anaheim, Calif.),